A review by Mike Shea Movie Rating: (
* * * * * )
DVD Rating: ( * * * * * )
Buy Goldeneye from Amazon.com
This Bond movie got a real bad rep for just the first scene, where Bond dives after a falling airplane using a motorcycle. Sure it was unrealistic, but should the movie be condemned for it? Goldeneye proves that the fall of the Cold War was the best thing to happen to action movies since the invention of the machine gun. Our hero fights against a legacy Russian first strike weapon known as the Goldeneye. The plot is solid, the villains are good, the action is top notch, and the naked lady intro is the best one I can remember seeing, making this an excellent Bond movie. Heres the profile:
- Love Interest: A british psychologist who he woos with fast cars and wine, and a Russian computer programmer (I have never seen a programmer with legs like that).
- Crazy Chase Scene Vehicle: A Russian Tank. Very very very cool.
- M Gadget: ball point pen grenade, repelling belt.
- Evil Henchman: An extremely tough sadist hot chick named Onatop. Kills folks with her legs. Excellent fight with her near the end.
- Life Threat: Tied in a helicopter that is targeted by its own missiles.
The DVD just rocks. We get a slew of extras including a directors commentary, the disc has a wonderful 16x9 enhanced picture. The sound is a killer Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack. Overall this may be one of the best James Bond movies of all time.